Brahma Muhurtham time is from 3 am to 6 am daily. It is considered to be the most auspicious time
when one can start/initiate/do spiritual things like observing meditation or reciting prayers or
even to embark on new projects, managing new decisions etc after completing the prayers or meditation,
without any worry of doing them during inauspicious times like Rahu Kalam or the mis-alignment of planets etc.
Have compiled the below 11 points from the Net on the characteristics of the Brahma Muhurtham period:
1) According to Ayurveda for a better health one should wake in brahma muhurtha. The science is that some elements like ozone help in brain (neuron) stimulation.
2) Brahma Muhurtham period is excellent for spiritual practices.
3) It has sacred energies for the worship of the Brahman inside you.
4) This time is most fruitful as most of the people are asleep and even the animals are sleeping. Meditation is a coherent flow of energy and is disturbed by the external atmosphere and other people's vibrations and thought forms. These things do not affect the meditator during Brahma Muhurtha.
5) The atmosphere is sacred because the vibrations of mind involved in world matters are not emitted from the people since they are in deep sleep. Mind is also a form of energy. Mind disappears in deep sleep. And swapna-mana has no real effect on the Jagrath-mana of the meditator or the one who prays. This has been proved even by modern radiogram studies.
6) The atmosphere is not polluted by the radiations of worldly feelings. At that time devotees awake and pray God. Their pure mental rays pervade all over the world and make the time sacred. Thus it becomes congenial and encouraging atmosphere.
7) After sunrise people awake and the materialistic mental radiations are emitted through their physical senses. The atmosphere is polluted.
8) Sattvam is prominent in the early morning. Rajas is prominent in the day time. Tamas is prominent in the night. Therefore early morning is the divine time called as Brahma Muhurtham.
9) Many Rishis, Siddhas, Yogis, Sants, Sadhus, Gupta Sanchara Yogis, Munis and Mahapurushas living in the forests and other etheric planes connected to our Janma-bhoomi will be active during this time and shower their blessings upon us.This will not only aid material progress but also more importantly spiritual progress.
10) This time is very suitable of attaining bharam gyan. This time is considered the best time for acquiring supreme knowledge and eternal happiness. More over Athrava Veda mentions this time very good for remaining healthy and away from diseases. In this period, mind can easily concentrate on mediation, prayers and studies. Dhyana at this time improves mental performance thus helps in increasing satva guna therefore subduing mental irritation or hyperactivity and lethargy which is contributed by rajas and tamas guna.
11) When we meditate or pray lovingly during brahmamuhurta, we are able to accept nourishment or food of the Lord in the same way that we might have received sustenance during our in utero and birth experience. We pacify Vata, Prana flows freely, our mental and physical apparatus becomes well organized and we are delivered into the new day as a healthy individual.
Kanchi Mahaswamigal has also spoken about it in Deivathin Kural. So, let us take a vow to get up at 4 am daily from tomorrow on all weekdays, weekends, holidays, vacations --- all days, with no exceptions at all. As, if we make an exception for one day, then we will be tempted to make exceptions for other days and very soon our determination will start to fizzle out, and utilize this precious time we have! To achieve this, let us also go to sleep early by 9.30 or 10 pm. Let us not worry about lack of sleep, for we can manage somehow by taking a powernap for just 15 minutes in the afternoons or for even more time during weekends! Just reading the above benefits should motivate one to sustain this habit for ever.